– A high-profile cryptocurrency trader that uses film star Matt Damon in its advertising mistakenly transferred almost $10.5million to a Melbourne woman.
– Crypto.com launched legal action against Thevamanogari Manivel and her sister Thilagavathy Gangadory after taking seven months to realise its mistake.
– The error happened when the company attempted to give Ms Manivel a $100 refund in May 2021, but entered an account number in the payment section of the transfer.
– The $10,474,143 mistake was discovered in a company audit just before last Christmas.
– When Crypto.com tried to get its money back, $1.35million had already been spent on a luxury five-bedroom house and the rest had been moved to other accounts.
– The company subsequently took legal action in the Supreme Court against Ms Gangadory seeking to get back the cost of the house plus 10 per cent interest.
– Judge James Dudley Elliott ordered Ms Gangadory pay Crypto.com $1.35million, interest of $27,369 and costs, and that the Craigieburn house be sold.